Re: patches to ybin

Comments interleaved below...

On Jul 21, 2010, at 6:18 PM, Rogério Brito wrote:

Hi there, people.

On Jul 21 2010, Rick Thomas wrote:
Unfortunately, there are lots of places that still expect absolute
device names.  Ybin is one of them.

I've got a patch that fixes this (at least it fixes it in my test
environment -- G4 PowerMac running Debian Squeeze).

That's good. Two questions, though:

1 - have you been able to make a bootable CD or DVD with your patched
   yaboot/ybin?

No. I don't know how to make a custom bootable CD. I assume there are directions for that somewhere, but always I've been able to get by so far with switching to the Alt-F2 terminal and making on-the-fly patches, so I haven't tried.

However, even if I did have a bootable CD with my modified ybin (or I made an equivalent on-the-fly patch from the Alt-F2 terminal), it would only solve half the problem.

The first half is that ybin can't interpret the new syntax to describe partitions identified with UUID= or LABEL=. My patch fixes that half.

The second half is that whatever part of the installer that builds the initial yaboot.conf (the one that gets passed to ybin when it's time to install the bootloader) is not using the new syntax when it needs to. I'd try to fix that myself (I expect it's just a shell script) but I don't know what file in what udeb in what part of the installer to look at.

The third half of the problem is that whatever the kernel update deb uses to build a new yaboot.conf sometimes gets it wrong. Again, I expect that's just a shell script and I could probably fix it if somebody would point me to the right place to look.

;-) Yes, I know that's a problem with three halves. It somehow seems appropriate... (-;

2 - did you have any chance of trying GRUB2?

No. I haven't had time to look at grub2 yet. Maybe we can get to that when you're here for DebConf?

the details are in Debian bug report #580455

I'm attaching the /etc/fstab and /etc/yaboot.conf files from the failed install, incase they are any help.

Is there some way to get this patch (or something even better)
accepted?   What can I do to help?

I just started a revamp of the packaging of yaboot at:

	http://git.debian.org/?p=users/rbrito-guest/yaboot.git

The best way to get things now would be to push any patches that we may
have upstream (if applicable in general). I have separated the whole,
monolithic patch in the original debian packaging in smaller patches,
but other things may be desired.

As I am without access to a powerpc box right now, I would appreciate it
if anybody could build the package to see how is its status right now.

If you want it, I can include your patch in my tree.

That would be helpful. Are there any upstream patches that need to get integrated as well?

To the debian-boot people: since I have not heard from anybody, I just
decided to take action and change the packaging. I hope that you don't
mind me preparing an non-maintainer-upload.

BTW, I plan on importing the newer upstream versions into the repository
that I listed above.

Cool!

Thanks!

Rick