Re: Which module should one use for sound on pmacs? (was: Re: debian-testing-powerpc-xfce+lxde, 7/26/10)

Hi,

Le mercredi 28 juillet 2010 à 16:02 -0300, Rogério Brito a écrit :
> Right. I am CC'ing some people that can potentially have answers to this
> question. If you have any comments, it would be nice to get this sorted
> out for the distributions. :-)

As you stated earlier, this has been brought up many times already,
without much result. Can I cite benh on this matter ?

http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2009/09/msg00104.html

> How should the distribution side of this be handled (say, with the
> automatic loading of the proper module) with machines that use, say,
> tumbler?

That's the question. Nobody knows.

> > snd-aoa works great here on a PowerBook5,8 ;-)
>
> OK, fine that it works for you. :-) It would be nice if it worked for
> many others, though. :-) What about snd-powermac, OTOH?

snd-aoa works for many people (including me) that simply had no sound at
all before. This a driver for newer hardware, from what I understand.
snd-powermac is for older ones (note that "old" may not be what you
think: i have an iBook G4 with snd-powermac and a one year younger
PowerBook that uses snd-aoa)

The problem seems to be just in what machine has what chip, and what
driver it should load. Please, if you think I am saying something wrong,
correct me.

Regards,
benjamin