Re: Making module for WLAN stick on iBook

Hi, Sakari.

2010/4/14 Sakari Aaltonen <sakari.aaltonen@tkk.fi>:
> Lainaus Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br>:
>> The compilation script/makefile that came with your module is looking
>> for the kernel headers where /lib/modules/<version>/build is telling.
>
> OK; persistent googling led me to
>  http://blog.calmblue.net/?p=105
>
> Clearly, what was missing was this:
>  apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.26-2-powerpc

I thought that you had this one already.

> Once this was done, the correct version of the kernel headers appeared in
> /usr/src, as did the crucial link in /lib/modules/<version>:

Right.

> So, 'make'ing the module for the WLAN stick starts up. However, it soon
> stops:

OK.

(...)
> /home/sakari/rtl8192su_linux_2.6.0003.0810.2009/HAL/rtl8192u/r8192U_core.c:11754:
> error: implicit declaration of function ‘vfree’
(...)

Let us see. If the suffix 0810.2009 means the date on which this
module was made available, then we have a serious problem, as kernel
2.6.26 was released in July of 2008 [1].

[1] http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_26

Since the kernel is now in the staging subtree of the kernel, it means
that this kernel module has been receiving heavy rewrites for quite
some time and function calls, number of parameters are not guaranteed
to be stable.

> I wish this was easier.

Perhaps you should try a newer kernel, see things working and then try
to understand what happens with your system?

This is more likely to succeed than if you try first to understand the
infra-structure of the kernel (as you would need to understand a
little bit of the kernel development and the peculiarities of this
module and of the wifi subsystem) and then compile a new kernel.

Regards,