Re: Making module for WLAN stick on iBook

Hi, Sakari.

On Apr 13 2010, Sakari Aaltonen wrote:
> Quoting Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br>:
> >If you want to compile your own kernels, having only build-essential is
> >enough (it will pull in various other packages needed for compilation of
> >kernels).
>
> But... When I say 'apt-get install build-essential', the answer is
> that 'build-essential' is already installed and the latest version.
> However, here are the contents of /usr/src/linux:

OK. That's an important step.

> ibook:/usr/src# ls -al
> total 47528
> drwxrwsr-x  2 root src      4096 2010-04-12 20:05 .
> drwxr-xr-x 12 root root     4096 2010-04-02 19:54 ..
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 48606909 2010-03-09 23:10 linux-source-2.6.26.tar.bz2
> ibook:/usr/src#
>
> So, there is only the .bz2 package. That is not enough, is it?

Quite probably. Just unpack the .tar.bz2 package somewhere else and you
will have the tree that was used to compile your kernel.

Actually, a hint here: it is *not* necessary to compile your kernel as
root.  In fact, it is a good idea to use the root account as little as
possible. The compilation of a kernel (or of a module) is not one that
would require being the root user.

> Also, the directory that the earlier 'make' complained about,
> /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-powerpc/build, is still missing.

Usually, /lib/modules/<version>/build is just a link to any place where
the kernel is put. You can see where it is pointing to (or if it is not
present at all) with something like:

ls -l /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-powerpc/build

When you unpack the kernel sources (and you can put it anywhere you
like), just make sure the link cited above points to where you unpacked
your kernel.

> I suspect there is some very basic capability that I lack to build
> modules. I mean, it's not just the A-Link WLAN module that cannot be
> built - I don't think I can build *any* module with the current
> setup.

The compilation script/makefile that came with your module is looking
for the kernel headers where /lib/modules/<version>/build is telling.

Anyway, are you really sure that you wouldn't like to use a newer
kernel?  The 2.6.26.x kernels are way, way too old.

Hope this helps,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8
http://rb.doesntexist.org : Packages for LaTeX : algorithms.berlios.de