Re: What is pbbuttonsd used for nowadays?

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 11:50:51PM +0100, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> * benoar <benoar@free.fr> [2009-01-30 14:40:02 CET]:
> > I personally had a G4 iBook than ran without pbbuttonsd :
>
>  Fine, I didn't deny that it's not possible.
>
> > - "function" keys are very well handled by xorg & gnome
>
>  How are xorg & gnome able to regulate the lighting of the keyboard?
> Your scenario also lacks the posibility of detecting the surrounding
> brightness and adapting the backlight of the screen and the keyboard
> lights to it.

AFAIK keyboard backlight and the ambient light sensors are the two
things that are only supported by pbbuttons or pommed. The other
function keys, display backlight, cpu throtteling and harddisk powersave
can also be done with other (more generic) tools.

So it's probably mostly a matter of personal preference which tool you
want to use.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.