Re: Hard Crash Xserver on Powerbook (Pismo) Sid

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 09:27:38PM +0100, Stephane Louise wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Brian Morris wrote:
>> Hey I just did an update today at the console, and
>> starting up the window system after, the Xserver hangs.
>>
>> There is a cursor but no menu action and no out via function keys,
>> plus the cursor doesn't move anyway, so I had no choice other than
>> a hard reset restart (Clover-Option-Power keys).
>>
>> I can try reconfiguring the server first (I have a very plain system
>> here, just openbox wm with a startx manual start), and/or I can test it
>> by ssh line in case it is just the server/ keyboard hanging.
>
> My macmini here dies whenever I try to launch an opengl application (like
> glxgears, glxinfo alone is alright though). When I say it dies, its: hard
> freeze, cannot ping the poor thing throught network and it just stand
> frozen here until the hard reset.

I can provoke a complete system crash - with a working keyboard tho' -
by just selecting "Noof" in the screen saver settings panel. Noof
seems to be an OpenGL screensaver.

System where this happens is a relatively fresh unstable Debian, on
KDE4. But IIRC this crash, triggered by a screensaver-demo happened
too on FVWM, a few days ago. Kernel at the time of the last crash
today rather surely is a self-compiled 2.6.30. The machine is a
TitaniumIV, with a 867 (maximum) MHz CPU.

This crash does not happen with an older unstable Debian with packages
around 7 or 8 months old, that otherwise has updated, relatively fresh
xorg packages installed, on a PowerBook5,8 with the same self-compiled
2.6.30 kernel installed.

And it's not clear to me which package is the culprit, i.e. I don't
know which OpenGl program is involved to start that "Noob"
screensaver.

And it's unclear to me how to debug the issue, as there seems nothing
being logged on the crashing system about this specific crash.

So I tried, to at least learn what Opengl app helps starting "Noob", a

gdb xscreensaver-demo

on the Powerbook5,8 which hasn't had these problems, and got this when
selecting "Noob":

--------------------------------
libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 5.3.0 r300 (screen 0)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/dri/tls/r300_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/dri/r300_dri.so
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 7, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:00:10.0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 7, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 7
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:00:10.0
libGL error:
Can't open configuration file /etc/drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL error:
Can't open configuration file /home/shorty/.drirc: No such file or directory.

What package does, or could, 'libGL' refer to?

If someone would be willing to help debug this: Be quick, because both
computers might see changes to stable software, soon.

HTH

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--