Strange framebuffer and keyboard problems ....

Hi All,

I posted this message on the Debian User Forum before I knew of this list.

I have two issues which at first I thought were kernel issues but having built numerous, changing one thing at a time, and still the problem persists, I'm now not so sure.

Some background.

I installed debian on an IBM 44p-170 using the 'debian-40r4a-powerpc-netinst.iso' image (couldn't get the latest installer images to work) and get everything working as I wanted. I had removed the IBM graphics card prior to original installation and I'm using a Matrox PCI card.

Once everything was as I wanted, I then upgraded the system using apt/aptitude. The kernel before the upgrade was 2.6.18-6-powerpc64 and was fine, KDE worked. However, the upgraded kernel wouldn't boot, it hung whilst initiating scsi. The new kernel was 2.6.26-2-powerpc64.

So, I then cross_compiled a new kernel using the 2.6.26 debian source and that booted up fine but KDE didn't start. After some googling, I edited the xorg.conf, changing the Option "UseFBDev" from "true" to "false" and adding the Option "NoInt10" "true".

On reboot, KDE starts but the keyboard doesn't work, unless I restart gdm, in which case it does work. No changes to xorg.conf from the original kernel.

The other issue is that there are no consoles on tty1-tty6 and no framebuffer device(s) are created in /dev. Using the original kernel, /dev/fb0 is created and I did have consoles on tty1 etc. I have enabled every kernel option that I can imagine is even remotely related to framebuffer, console, matrox, keyboard etc.

Anyway, if anybody has any ideas it would be good to get to the bottom of it, though it's not a show stopper by any means.

I can make available the various config files and logs if anybody is interested (rather than clutter here if nobody is).

Cheers,

--
Michael Howard        mike at dewberryfields dot co dot uk
Lancashire