Re: PowerPC 8500??

Hi.

> I have an old PowerPC 8500/132 (actually, I think it was upgraded -
> 150 maybe??). I'd like to install Debian on it (my first experience
> with Linux).
>
> The HCL at http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/Apple doesn't list the 8500 -
> the oldest machines on it seem to be G3s.

I own an old PowerMac9500, installed Debian Sarge (Debian 3.1) on it. It
works, but I would not want to use it as a graphics workstation: to slow.
Maybe with a tiny window manager, I didn't try. I used it without monitor and
keyboard - as a database test server (postgresql).

> So what's the best version of Debian to install?

Didn't try anything but Woody and Sarge on that old hardware.

> Any special hints/pointers for a newbie appreciated.

You should check if you have enough memory for the graphical environment
(X11). Text mode probably will work, but is that what you want?

> Thanks for your help.

Your welcome.

   Hartwig