Re: make-kpkg and uImage/cuImage.*

Hi Rogério,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 15:07:21 -0300
> Von: "Rogério Brito" <rbrito@ime.usp.br>
> An: Gerhard Pircher <gerhard_pircher@gmx.net>
> CC: debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org
> Betreff: Re: make-kpkg and uImage/cuImage.*

> I was once unfamiliar with these uboot images, but one you get familiar
> with them, they're just another flavor of kernel images (along with
> vmlinux, vmlinuz, *.coff etc).
Yes, there isn't much difference. The only problem I faced were initramfs
uImages, which were not recognized by the kernel. initrd uImages however
worked fine.

> Yes, I do. I have now 2 powerpc-based kuroboxes here:
>
> * a Kurobox HD (a simpler one, which is the one that I'm using);
> * a Kurobox HG (which has more memory, but I still didn't put it to run).
>
> I'm quite excited to have them work out of the box with Debian, with
> pure Free Software (and no non-free Software).
Same here. Debian GNU/Linux everywhere (except for the WRT54GL router
with OpenWRT). :-)

> I may be getting an arm-based kurobox in the near future (and, of
> course, I will be interested in getting better support for it with
> Linux).
I thought arm/armel already supports U-boot images. Thus I was a little
bit disappointed when I couldn't find any reference for arm + u-boot in
the kernel-package sources.

> Currently, I've had some problems with 2.6.29/30 kernels and the Kuro
> HD, but the problems seem to have gone away with a 2.6.31-rc* kernel and
> things seem to be getting in shape.
I had problems with kernel versions 2.6.26 - 2.6.30, because a lot of
things were changed in the PPC MMU and DMA code.

> Of course, this is the very first step before getting support into
> Debian.
>
> > > I have already filed a bug against kernel-package, but I'm not sure
> > > if Manoj is working on it (or if he has already included hooks for
> > > that---if that's the case, I would love to know about the
> > > functionality).
> >
> > AFAICT the changelog doesn't mention any U-boot image support.
> > Which hooks are you thinking about?
>
> The ones mentioned here: http://bugs.debian.org/497738
Thanks for the link! As far as I understand it kernel-package is designed
around the old Linux ppc architecture, where every subarch (CHRP, APUS,
PReP) needed their own kernel image. The powerpc architecture should
allow to run one kernel image on different platforms (given that they
share the same CPU type). IMHO kernel-package should define subarchs
like ppc32, ppc64, 40x, 44x, 85xx, 8xx and e200 for the powerpc
architecture (like the Kconfig option for the processor type). Then the
BIOS or the bootloader would just select the correct dtb or a specific
cuImage file. Theoretically...

> > I took a look at the kernel-package source code, but couldn't get a
> > complete picture of its inner workings yet.
>
> I didn't have the patience to sit down and read the kernel-package
> source. So, I decided to make that very short script. It works for me,
> but has many, many flaws.
>
> > > If you make some improvements, please let me know and share the code.
> >
> > Thanks for the script! I think I just have to add a line, which copies
> > over the cuImage.* file (the script already invokes the kernel build
> > process with "make all", so everything should be in place).
>
> Nice that the script I provided you is of use for you. Please, if you
> happen to make improvements, just send me a patch.
For sure! I'll try to add cuImage support. However my bash shell scripting
skills are a little bit rusty.

> Perhaps we could even get the improvements (if any) to be included into
> kernel-package itself, so that we don't have to duplicate any effort...
That would be the ideal case!

Thanks!

Gerhard