Re: make-kpkg and uImage/cuImage.*

Hi, Gerhard.

On Aug 01 2009, Gerhard Pircher wrote:
> "Rogério Brito" <rbrito@ime.usp.br>
> > Yes, I miss support for that too.
>
> There is another powerpc platform besides the AmigaOne, which boots
> with U-boot images and thus would benefit from an enhanced
> kernel-package.

I was once unfamiliar with these uboot images, but one you get familiar
with them, they're just another flavor of kernel images (along with
vmlinux, vmlinuz, *.coff etc).

> If I may ask: are you planning to get the kurobox devices officially
> supported by Debian?

Yes, I do. I have now 2 powerpc-based kuroboxes here:

* a Kurobox HD (a simpler one, which is the one that I'm using);
* a Kurobox HG (which has more memory, but I still didn't put it to run).

I'm quite excited to have them work out of the box with Debian, with
pure Free Software (and no non-free Software).

I may be getting an arm-based kurobox in the near future (and, of
course, I will be interested in getting better support for it with
Linux).

Currently, I've had some problems with 2.6.29/30 kernels and the Kuro
HD, but the problems seem to have gone away with a 2.6.31-rc* kernel and
things seem to be getting in shape.

Of course, this is the very first step before getting support into
Debian.

The ones mentioned here: http://bugs.debian.org/497738

> I took a look at the kernel-package source code, but couldn't get a
> complete picture of its inner workings yet.

I didn't have the patience to sit down and read the kernel-package
source. So, I decided to make that very short script. It works for me,
but has many, many flaws.

> > If you make some improvements, please let me know and share the code.
>
> Thanks for the script! I think I just have to add a line, which copies
> over the cuImage.* file (the script already invokes the kernel build
> process with "make all", so everything should be in place).

Nice that the script I provided you is of use for you. Please, if you
happen to make improvements, just send me a patch.

Perhaps we could even get the improvements (if any) to be included into
kernel-package itself, so that we don't have to duplicate any effort...

Regards,