Re: Lenny on Apple 9600 - noobie questions

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 12:55:55 -0400
Jeff Fry <jeffhfry@gmail.com> wrote:

> I assume that following Steve Allen's installation method would
> install a basic version of Lenny, and I would then need to install
> various additional software applications and drivers? Also, I would
> additionally install things like Apache2, php5, mySQL, phpmyadmin,
> etc., from package installers?

Yes, you do need to install additional applications. I don't think you
need additional drivers unless you install a hardware device that
requires proprietary firmwares, etc.

The lenny CD/DVD during install asks if you want to set up a mail
server, web server, file server. You can select these and it will
install the above software you mentioned. Although I am not too sure
which ones it chooses (e.g. for database mysql or postgres).

> The 9600 is currently running a Sonnet G4 400 MHz, but I can revert
> back to the original 604e 300 MHz if necessary, or install an XLR8
> G3 350 MHz. Are any of these CPU options known to be a problem?

Don't think so.

> I currently have 384 MB of RAM installed, but could increase it if
> necessary. What would be a good amount of RAM to have installed?

Sounds like it is enough. But if you start using heavy window managers
with multiple simultaneous GUI apps, you might start seeing swaps.

> It has a Matsushita CR-8024 (CR-508) SCSI CD-ROM drive, which I
> would assume shouldn't pose a problem.

Correct.

> I want to use a TRENDnet TEG-PCITXR (ver. A or ver 3.0R) Gigabit
> Ethernet PCI NIC card. I do have the makefile and source files to
> compile (Realtec) drivers for Linux kernel 2.2, 2.4, and 2.6,
> although I don't understand the exact procedures to follow (at this
> time). Has anyone used this NIC and drivers?
>
> I have several video cards to choose from:
> IX3D Ultimate-Rez Rev 1.01 (8 MB)
> Twin Turbo 128M8 Rev 3.6 (8 MB)
> Twin Turbo 128M/M2 Rev 3.7 (4 or 8 MB ?)
> Twin Turbo 128M8A Rev 3.8.1 (8 MB)
> ATi Nexus 128 (32 MB)
> ATi Radeon 7000 Mac Edition (32 MB)
> Are any of these video cards known to be a problem?

I use an ATI Radeon Mobility (8MB) VRAM. No problems so far.

> I have several PCI SCSI cards to choose from:
> ATTO ExpressPCI UL3D
> ATTO ExpressPCI UL2D
> ATTO ExpressPCI DC
> Adaptec AHA-3940UWD
> Adaptec AHA-2940U2W/Mac
> Adaptec AHA-2930CU2W/Apple 2 Mac
> Are any of these SCSI cards known to be a problem?

Not sure, but probably not.

> I would assume that I could install Lenny and its applications in
> its own partition, then have my file server data and web server data
> on a separate SCSI drive or drives? Could the data drives be set up
> as software RAID 1 (mirror) in Lenny?

Yes you can do that.

> Again, I'm sorry for dumping all of these questions at once.
> Obviously, I trying to plan out a strategy and determine if I can
> accomplish what I envision, using the hardware I currently have.
>
> Thanks in advance for any and all info, comments and suggestions.

Good luck.

Amit