Re: About the computational power of g4 machines

Hi Rogério,

2009/5/16 Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br>:
>> Am Samstag 16 Mai 2009 09:59:50 schrieb Rogério Brito:
>> > http://images.apple.com/movies/us/hd_gallery/gl1800/480p/gilmour_480p.mov
>> > http://images.apple.com/movies/us/hd_gallery/gl1800/720p/gilmour_720p.mov
>> > http://images.apple.com/movies/us/hd_gallery/gl1800/1080p/gilmour_1080p.mov
>>
>> 1080p is not viewable here (with compiz activated, didnt try without, graphics
>> hardware see below)
>
> Right. I thought it would be hard to see. But how much "not viewable" is
> it?  Are you using mplayer? Do you have many frame drops?

Another data point for you: on my mac mini with its G4@1.25 MHz, the
480p is viewable and the CPU is at 60-70%. The 720p is viewable but it
skips a lot, CPU is maxed out. 1080p is not viewable. This with xine
and mplayer, both gave similar results.

> The opportunity that I have is to purchase an iBook G4 800MHz. As I have
> never used a machine with Altivec before, I don't know how it would be
> useful for playing, say, DVDs with de-interlacing enabled or some MPEG-4
> Part 2 or some H.264 videos.

My old iMac G4@400 MHz could play DVDs, but I believe it used
MacOSX-only hardware acceleration to do the trick. The mac mini can
play them perfectly on Debian with no drops whatsoever. In fact it
makes a wonderful media center.

Cheers,

Alex.