Re: Wifi configuration Debian Lenny Ibook G3

2009/4/21 Gunther Furtado <gunfurtado@gmail.com>
Hi,

2009/4/21 Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br>:
> Hi there, people.
>
> It's been a long time since I last followed debian-powerpc, but I am back to
> my activities.
>
> I have one question, though.
>
> On 02/10/2009 02:31 AM, Geoff Simmons wrote:
>>
>> The original Apple AirPort Card uses a Hermes chipset, which is supported
>> by
>> the orinoco driver provided in mainline kernels.
>
> Is it possible to get an original airport card nowadays? I would love to
> have one (it doesn't matter if it is used, as long as it is working
> correctly).
>
> Unfortunately, I can't find almost anything apple-related here in Brazil,
> but I would still like to put one of those cards in my iBook G3 600MHz.

Have you looked in forum.macnews.com.br? I found one there earlier this year.

> If anybody could send me one, please get in touch with me.

The iBook I got it for is half-dead now, when the healthy half dies
(waiting for I friend of mine to have time to disassemble/reasassemble
it) I could have an useless one here in Curitiba.

> Thanks, Rogério Brito.
>
> --
> Rogério Brito : rbrito@{mackenzie,ime.usp}.br : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8
> http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito : http://meusite.mackenzie.com.br/rbrito
> Projects: algorithms.berlios.de : lame.sf.net : vrms.alioth.debian.org
>

> --

Gunther Furtado
Curitiba - Paraná - Brasil
gunfurtado@gmail.com

"...agora, só nos sobrou o futuro...", visto em www.manuchao.net

Hello, you can buy one airport card in Ebay, I bought one and works great, you need follow the next tutto.

http://nuevaeracr.blogspot.com/2009/02/actualizar-el-driver-orino-de-las.html

Also the wiki of Debian:

http://wiki.debian.org/orinoco

Also in Ebay sell a USB airport Adapter, Mac OS X and GNU/Linux compatible, have one Realtek Chipset, in the home page of Realtek have the source drivers (the CD have binary i386 drivers).

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Wireless-WiFi-for-Apple-Mac-iMac-G4-OS-X-10-3-10-4_W0QQitemZ120401973658QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120401973658&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

First ask the chipset and check in realtek the compatibility, because one of the chips dont work with mac os x 10.3 or later, but in linux works all.

Next you can use WiCD for networking administration:

http://nuevaeracr.blogspot.com/2009/04/redes-inalambricas-con-debian-gnulinux.html

Also can use add the backports and install wicd.

--
http://nuevaeracr.blogspot.com
Linux user number 478378

“No habrá manera de desarrollarnos y salir de
la pobreza mientras los pocos negocios
grandes de nuestro medio se entreguen a las
economías foráneas y nosotros nos
quedemos con solo negocios de pobre,
mientras en vez de ser propietarios de nuestro
propio país nos convirtamos en un ejército de
empleados del exterior”
José Figueres Ferrer, 1952.