Re: Debian on a pSeries Power6 anyone?

Hello,

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 02:00:25AM +0300, Wartan Hachaturow wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Frank Fegert <fra.nospam.nk@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Hm, good question. On the Power5 definately, because the system starts
> > up fine ;-) On the Power6 i guess too, because the last lines displayed
> > before the "invalid device" is the kernel image path selected from the
> > yaboot menu. Sorry for being vage, i don't have the exact output in
> > front of me right now. I'll post it tomorrow.
>
> It would also really help if you would rebuild yaboot with -DDEBUG=1
> and show us the full output.

see below for the requested debug output. After building yaboot with
-DDEBUG=1 i did patch up the Debian version of yaboot to the level of
the latest available devel-snapshot (v1.3.14rc2). With this i'm able
to boot up the Debian-LPAR on both Power5 and Power6 Systems with no
other changes made. I didn't drill down to the exact code changes that
made it work in the end, but i guess its a bug in the current yaboot
version.
Thanks for all your suggestions!

Best regards,

        Frank

IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM
[...]

          1 = SMS Menu                          5 = Default Boot List
          8 = Open Firmware Prompt              6 = Stored Boot List

     Memory      Keyboard     Network     SCSI     Speaker
[...]
IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM     STARTING SOFTWARE       IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM
IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM        PLEASE WAIT...       IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM
[...]
/
Elapsed time since release of system processors: 80455 mins 10 secs

Adding OF methods...
    prom_init - OF interface initialized.
    yaboot_start - Malloc buffer allocated at 00300000 (1048576 bytes)
    yaboot_start - reloc_offset :  0         (should be 0)
    yaboot_start - test_bss     :  0         (should be 0)
    yaboot_start - test_data    :  0         (should be 0)
    yaboot_start - &test_data   :  002326b0
    yaboot_start - &test_bss    :  002326ac
    yaboot_start - linked at    :  0x00200000
    yaboot_start - Running on _machine = 4
    yaboot_main - /chosen/bootpath = /vdevice/v-scsi@30000002/disk@8100000000000000
    yaboot_main - After parse_device_path: dev=/vdevice/v-scsi@30000002/disk@8100000000000000, part=-1, file=
    yaboot_main - After pmac path kludgeup: dev=/vdevice/v-scsi@30000002/disk@8100000000000000, part=-1, file=
    open_file - dev_path = /vdevice/v-scsi@30000002/disk@8100000000000000
file_name = /etc/yaboot.conf
partition = -1
    open_file - device is a block device
    partitions_lookup - block size of device is 512
partitions:
    file_block_open - number: 02, start: 0x00003ec1, length: 0x001de7fa
--> ext2_open
    ext2_open - dev=/vdevice/v-scsi@30000002/disk@8100000000000000, part=0x00308078 (2), file_name=/etc/yaboot.conf
    ext2_open - partition offset: 8225280
    ext2_open - </vdevice/v-scsi@30000002/disk@8100000000000000:0>
    ext2_open - file->of_device = 01b5a400
<-- ext2_open - FILE_ERR_OK
    ext2_read - ext_read() from pos 0x0, size: 0x32768x
Config file read, 4096 bytes
    ext2_close - ext2_close called
Can't set item boot to value /dev/sda1
Can't set item install to value /usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
Can't set item enablecdboot to value <NULL>
    load_config_file - Config file successfully parsed, 4096 bytes
Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.13
Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
boot: Linux
    get_params - after parse_device_path: dev=/vdevice/v-scsi@30000002/disk@8100000000000000 part=2 file=/boot/vmlinux
    get_params - Parsing initrd path </boot/initrd.img>
Please wait, loading kernel...
    open_file - dev_path = /vdevice/v-scsi@30000002/disk@8100000000000000
file_name = /boot/vmlinux
partition = 2
    open_file - device is a block device
    partitions_lookup - block size of device is 512
partitions:
    file_block_open - number: 02, start: 0x00003ec1, length: 0x001de7fa
 (match)
    file_block_open - Using OF defaults.. (found = 0030e1d8)
--> ext2_open
    ext2_open - dev=/vdevice/v-scsi@30000002/disk@8100000000000000, part=0x0030e1d8 (2), file_name=/boot/vmlinux
    ext2_open - partition offset: 8225280
    ext2_open - </vdevice/v-scsi@30000002/disk@8100000000000000:0>
    ext2_open - file->of_device = 01b5a400
<-- ext2_open - FILE_ERR_OK
    ext2_read - ext_read() from pos 0x0, size: 0x20x
    ext2_read - ext_read() from pos 0x14, size: 0x44x
    load_elf64 - Elf64 header:
    load_elf64 -  e.e_type      = 2
    load_elf64 -  e.e_machine   = 21
    load_elf64 -  e.e_version   = 1
    load_elf64 -  e.e_entry     = 0x0000000000000000
    load_elf64 -  e.e_phoff     = 0x0000000000000040
    load_elf64 -  e.e_shoff     = 0x000000000063a090
    load_elf64 -  e.e_flags     = 0
    load_elf64 -  e.e_ehsize    = 0x00000040
    load_elf64 -  e.e_phentsize = 0x00000038
    load_elf64 -  e.e_phnum     = 2
    ext2_read - ext_read() from pos 0x40, size: 0x112x
    load_elf64 - Before prom_claim, mem_sz: 0x00800000
    load_elf64 - After ELF parsing, load base: 02100000, mem_sz: 0x00800000
    load_elf64 -     wanted load base: 0x01400000, mem_sz: 0x00800000
    ext2_read - ext_read() from pos 0x10000, size: 0x6414336x
   Elf64 kernel loaded...
    ext2_close - ext2_close called
    open_file - dev_path = /vdevice/v-scsi@30000002/disk@8100000000000000
file_name = /boot/initrd.img
partition = 2
    open_file - device is a block device
    partitions_lookup - block size of device is 512
partitions:
    file_block_open - number: 02, start: 0x00003ec1, length: 0x001de7fa
 (match)
    file_block_open - Using OF defaults.. (found = 00313e58)
--> ext2_open
    ext2_open - dev=/vdevice/v-scsi@30000002/disk@8100000000000000, part=0x00313e58 (2), file_name=/boot/initrd.img
    ext2_open - partition offset: 8225280
    ext2_open - </vdevice/v-scsi@30000002/disk@8100000000000000:0>
    ext2_open - file->of_device = 01b5a400
<-- ext2_open - FILE_ERR_OK
    ext2_read - ext_read() from pos 0x0, size: 0x4194304x
    ext2_read - ext_read() from pos 0x400000, size: 0x4194304x
    yaboot_text_ui -   block at 02d00000 rc=4194304
    ext2_read - ext_read() from pos 0x800000, size: 0x4194304x
    yaboot_text_ui -   block at 03100000 rc=28672
    ext2_close - ext2_close called
ramdisk loaded at 02900000, size: 8220 Kbytes
    yaboot_text_ui - setting kernel args to: root=/dev/sda2 ro video=ofonly
    yaboot_text_ui - flushing icache...    yaboot_text_ui -  done
    yaboot_text_ui - birec at 00800000
    yaboot_text_ui - Kernel entry point = 02100000
    yaboot_text_ui - kernel: arg1 = 02900000,
        arg2 = 0x00807000,
        prom = 00c39a68,
        arg4 = 0,
        arg5 = 0

    yaboot_text_ui - Entering kernel...
OF stdout device is: /vdevice/vty@30000000
Hypertas detected, assuming LPAR !
/
Elapsed time since release of system processors: 80455 mins 46 secs

[...]
    ext2_open - file->of_device = 01b5ac00
<-- ext2_open - FILE_ERR_OK
    ext2_read - ext_read() from pos 0x0, size: 0x32768x
Config file read, 4096 bytes
    ext2_close - ext2_close called
Can't set item boot to value /dev/sda1
Can't set item install to value /usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
Can't set item enablecdboot to value <NULL>
    load_config_file - Config file successfully parsed, 4096 bytes
Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.13
Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
Default supplied on the command line: root=/dev/sda2 ro video=ofonly
boot: root=/dev/sda2 ro video=ofonly
    get_params - after parse_device_path: dev=root=/dev/sda2 part=2 file=/vmlinux
Please wait, loading kernel...
    open_file - dev_path = root=/dev/sda2
file_name = /vmlinux
partition = 2
root=/dev/sda2:2,/vmlinux: Unable to open file, Invalid device
boot: