Re: PowerPC port for the e500 core

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:44:54PM +0300, Wartan Hachaturow wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior
> <sebastian@breakpoint.cc> wrote:
> > ARM, M68K and most MIPS are embedded es well and there is an offical
> > Debian port. I don't understand your point. Are you pointing out that
> > there will be a tiny user base?
>
> Well, for sure I can't speak for all the users, but I can forsee
> problems setting up a reasonably fast buildd, providing storage space
> for a full-blown port and so on. MIPS is already a PITA for the buildd
> maintainers, and m68k is no more exactly because of that. However, I
> might be wrong :)

You are probably misinformed.
Debian has powerful mips buildds[1][2][3][4]. Why would they be a PITA
to build Debian?
You also might want to check [5][6]. As you can see, Freescale
PowerQUICC III processors (and later QorIQ processors) are largely
sufficient to build Debian natively.

Actual mips and powerpc cannot be compared with legacy m68k which is
no longer even produced nowadays.

The open question is when we will get non-NDA commercial public
hardware to play with, because evalboards at $4000 USD do not qualify
for an official Debian port.

Cheers,

[1] <http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi?host=mayer>
[2] <http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi?host=mayr>