Re: RAID Controller to enable SATA HDD Hard Drive

Hi Stephan

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 01:18:30AM -0800, Stephan wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've installed a Silicone Imaged based RAID controller with one Maxtor
> 250 gig SATA hard drive and no other drives.  Installation of Etch ran
> smoothly, the hard drive was identified, configured, and the base system
> & packages installed fine, but until the yaboot
> installation/configuration failed.

The easiest way to fix this is probably to reinstall and partition like
outlined below. Then the installer should automatically choose the right
yaboot configuration.

> Clearly, I need to configure yaboot but I'm having trouble finding
> resources to point me in the right direction.  I'm neither a RAID nor a
> Linux guru, but if anyone can offer some examples or suggestions, I
> won't need to be spoon fed either ;)  If absolutely necessary, I'm even
> willing to configure the initial kernal loading to run from either a
> floppy or a CD, but that sounds a bit extreme for what should be a
> simple problem.

I don't know if your RAID controller is supported by the Mac
OpenFirmware. Probably not. So your easiest option is to have the /boot
and Yaboot partitions on the original EIDE drive. As these are only
needed for booting, they won't slow down your system. The root partition
can stay on the RAID as it is only needed after the linux kernel is
loaded.

You can find detailed information on how to configure yaboot in the
yaboot.conf manpage. If you encounter specific problems you can always
ask specific questions.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.