Re: No X on iMac G3 400MHz

Try with the ati driver:

Section "Device"
Identifier "ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 RL/VR AGP"
Driver "ati"

In extreme cases I use the next tip: Download any Ubuntu versión and boot with the live CD, goto the configuration of the X.org and copy the parameters, try in Debian Lenny paste the same parameters.

2009/2/10 Amit Uttamchandani <atu13439@csun.edu>
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 19:17:00 -0800
"urpion urpion" <urpion@linuxwaves.com> wrote:

>  Hi, Ive just installed Debian 5.0 PPC Current Testing on IMac G3 400Mhz (HD-Media vie network with standard system +
> desktop). I tried etch and Lenny, but they didn't find the nic. All went well. But after first reboot... black screen. The system
> is fine but X is not happy. I reconfigured the package xserver-xorg a few times, but no dice!. The video card is an ATI Rage
> 128 RL/VR AGP

[snip]

Try using 'fbdev' as your driver. At least with that you should get X
to start although of course you don't get accelerated graphics. Try
that and post back. The 'r128' driver in lenny has some issues that can
be worked around by specifying the proper modelines.

Amit

http://nuevaeracr.blogspot.com
Linux user number 478378
Linux machine number 386687
Tec. Esteban Monge Marín
Tel: (506) 8379-3562

"No habrá manera de desarrollarnos y salir de
la pobreza mientras los pocos negocios
grandes de nuestro medio se entreguen a las
economías foráneas y nosotros nos
quedemos con solo negocios de pobre,
mientras en vez de ser propietarios de nuestro
propio país nos convirtamos en un ejército de
empleados del exterior"
José Figueres Ferrer, 1952.