Re: What is pbbuttonsd used for nowadays?

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:21:48PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> - backlight dimming is handled by gnome
> >> - "function" keys are very well handled by xorg & gnome
> >> - suspend to ram is handled by gnome-power-manager
> >> What else do you need ?
> > Not everyone's using Gnome.
>
> I'm not arguing for/against pbbuttonsd.  I just see that a lot of what
> it provides is already provided in a machine-agnostic way by other parts
> of the system (be it Gnome/KDE or more core parts of the system).

The fact that they are machine-agnostic does have its issues. One of the
upsides of pbbuttonsd (in my opinion) is that in its default
configuration, it actually matches what's printed on my keyboard: if I
hit the 'volume down' key, it will actually lower the volume -- without
the need for any configuration.

For all the other options out there, I have to manually configure
things. Not that I don't know how to do that, but it's easier if I don't
have to.

Pbbuttonsd also knows about some apple-specific features that the
machine-agnostic things don't know about, such as keyboard backlight
etc.

All that makes it more interesting than any of the alternatives on apple
hardware, IMO.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22