Re: Help! Newbie install problem; simple solution?

Thanks--I think you have given me a path forward, but can you work with my "newbie-ness" for a moment?

1. How would I attach the xorg.conf file? Do I need to redo the install using a CD containing both my .iso file and your copy of the .conf file? If you mean something else by "attaching a working xorg.conf file", would you explain how to do that? Without a working system, I can't move any file onto the system--or do anything else at all.

2. Recall that I can't do anything as root, because the system 'boots' to an unuseable login screen. There is no dual-boot or other working system on this hardware, just my crippled Etch installation. Please let me know if there is a way to interrupt the start-up of the crippled login screens and type in the dpkg-reconfigure command that you have provided.

I appreciate the assistance--it seems like this will be solveable fairly quickly.