Help! Newbie install problem; simple solution?

I have a New World iBook G3, and I'm installing "Debian-40r6-powerpc- netinst.iso". Everything went smoothly until the first boot-up of the new system. The log-in screen isn't rendered correctly--the top half is at the bottom and the bottom is at the top; also the right-half of the screen is blacked out. What am I doing wrong? (I was able to supply my username and password, but after they were accepted the screen was still unuseable.)

I know that my hardware is normal because the display was fine with Mac 9 and then it was fine rendering the Debian installation screens. Has anyone encountered this, and is there a known fix without a lot of "try this, try that" guesswork?