Getting Installation Instructions for an OldWorld Machine (was: Re: G3 Beige Tower install help)

On Sep 09 2008, Stephen Allen wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 07:45:21PM -0400, Rick Thomas wrote:
> > Congratulation on getting it working!  That's great news.
>
> Thanks Rick for all your help !

Please, if you put it there, let me know where it is. The proper way to
do things would be to merge the proper instructions in the Debian
installation manual.

Of course, a "pure Free Software" recipe would be better than having to
rely on MacOS.

I have an OldWorld PowerMac 9500/180MP with a G3 upgrade card (400MHz)
that booted fine with quik.

So I guess that it would be OK for you to mirror what you have working
into a big HD and try to install with pure Free Software (you can get
the packages that you have already installed with "dpkg --get-selections"
and tell dpkg which packages should be installed with
"dpkg --set-selections", so that you don't miss anything).

Please, help us support the PowerPC port better. Oh, and don't forget to
install the popularity-contest package on your box, since this is used
by the release team to know which architectures are worth releasing.

(And the results are also used to order the packages on the Debian CDs).

> Now I can use my legacy scsi scanner on a modern OS. :-D

That's one of the good things of a Free Software Operating System.
Please, help to keep it alive for this arch.

Regards, Rogério Brito.