Re: G3 Beige Tower install help

2008/9/10, Stephen Allen <sda2@sdf.lonestar.org>:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 05:16:35PM -0400, Rick Thomas wrote:
>
>> That's good news.  I have tried to get xorg and gnome running on my test
>> machine, but it seems that the video chip it has isn't very well
>> supported.  I need to open a bug report on the subject.
>
> I have 2 video cards in it. Back in the day when it was a workstation with
> dual heads. I left the stock
> video card in, (RageII 3d) with a whopping 8 mb/ram. It's this card that the
> Lenny installer picked up, not
> the dual head card. But that's OK.
>
> Is your card different from stock ?

This is of interest for me, too... it reminds me...

My G3 is a desktop model (233 MHz, rev B) with integrated video: Rage
II something, with 6 MB of RAM. Do the towers really have a separate
PCI card?

I installed Ubuntu 6.06.1, obviously in 2006, and it worked fine...
until I put in a PCI card (USB 2.0). That caused xorg to fail. It
complained about INVALID I/O ALLOCATION, but I'm not sure whether it
is relevant to the problem. It seemed to try to allocate memory
already used by the USB PCI card. I wonder if that bug has been
fixed...

Another problem with this machine model is the text frame buffer mode
not being usable because of vertical lines where the text 'lives'.

Stephen, what version of xorg are you using? Do you have other PCI
cards installed than the video cards?

Actually all this is a bit aside from the original subject, maybe
worth a thread of its own though...

Risto