Re: Can't get xorg working on iBook - Help please!

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 7:03 PM, Amit Uttamchandani
<amit.uttam@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I tried this option and I didn't get any error messages and X seemed
>> to start with the typical X mouse. There were a few of warnings, but
>> no errors (I attached the log). However, now when I try to run
>> 'gnome-session' as a normal user I get:
>>
>> ** (gnome-session:3719): WARNING**: Cannot open display
>>

> This a good sign I guess. At least X is starting up. I am not too
> familiar with how gnome starts up since I don't use it but try starting
> gdm as a normal user. See how that goes.
>
> So when X starts what do you see after the typical X mouse. Have you
> tried running xclock? If that starts and you do see a clock then I
> guess its simply a gnome configuration issue.

I'm too new to this type of configuration (more time using debian,
that just worked). How do you start an 'xclock'?

>> I've had about enough of arch linux at this point and am so so close
>> to giving up. It seems to be just one problem after another with this
>> distro.
>>

> I actually learned about ARCH linux PPC from your post and I've always
> wanted to try it. I will be installing it on my desktop PPC machine
> soon.

Great. Maybe you can give me some pointers if it all works for you. I
also had tough time just getting arch linux installed in the first
place, which is part of the reason why I'm getting a little
frustrated. Besides the three outstanding errors I'm getting, now that
X "seems" to be working.

>> I would still appreciate any help you may have though.
>>

> Don't give up :) That's part of the fun with trying a fairly new distro
> (to PPC at least). I remember having a lot of trouble with r128 with
> Lenny but it finally ended up working after a lot of trial and errors.

I think I'm making progress so I'll keep hacking away.

Thanks,
 /Bob