Re: Can't get xorg working on iBook - Help please!

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 1:42 AM, Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-12-27 at 11:15 -0700, Bob Lounsbury wrote:
>> >
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > This is probably because you're using OFfb rather than aty128fb (what
>> > does /proc/fb contain?) in console. Either fix that, or try without
>> > Option "UseFBDev", though IIRC that may be tricky to get working with
>> > the r128 driver on Apple laptops.
>>
>> Sorry, I'm pretty new to linux, I don't know what 'using OFfb rather
>> than aty128fb' means.
>
> The /proc/fb contents in your other post show that you actually are
> using aty128fb... I took a look at the failing X server code, it looks
> like it may have a bug which causes it to fail to recognize the
> correlation between the PCI device and the framebuffer device. What does
>
> find /sys -name \*fb0
>
> say?

/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.0/graphics:fb0
/sys/class/graphics/fb0

> BTW, I noticed from the log file that you don't seem to be using Debian
> but Arch Linux - may I ask why you're posting to a Debian mailing list
> then? It would have been nice to at least state this clearly in the
> original post...

YES, you are definitely correct, I should have stated this prior to
posting. I've been using Debian ppc for 3-4 years, but wanted to give
something else a try. I had already tried asking for help on the Arch
Linux forums without any luck and I had been googling for days looking
for solutions. Because of my experience with Debian I knew that the
Debian ppc list was more active and hoped someone could here could
help (despite the fact that I'm trying a different distro).

>> If I comment out the 'UseFBDev' line then I get the exact same error
>> message.
>
> Maybe the option defaults to on, check the r128 manpage.
>
>> If I set the option to false rather than true then I get the
>> attached error message.
>
>        Option  "NoInt10"
>
> may get you past this, but as I said, it might be tricky to get the r128
> driver working without UseFBDev on an Apple laptop.

I tried this option and I didn't get any error messages and X seemed
to start with the typical X mouse. There were a few of warnings, but
no errors (I attached the log). However, now when I try to run
'gnome-session' as a normal user I get:

** (gnome-session:3719): WARNING**: Cannot open display

I've had about enough of arch linux at this point and am so so close
to giving up. It seems to be just one problem after another with this
distro.

I would still appreciate any help you may have though.

Thanks,
/Bob