Re: Can't get xorg working on iBook - Help please!

On Sat, 2008-12-27 at 11:15 -0700, Bob Lounsbury wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 2:06 AM, Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-12-26 at 10:27 -0700, Bob Lounsbury wrote:
> >> Has anyone experienced the error in the attached Xorg.0.log file? I've
> >> also attached my xorg.conf. I've tried all sorts of changes to the
> >> xorg.conf, but nothing works.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> (**) R128(0): Using framebuffer device
> >> (II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
> >> (II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
> >>
> >> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/linux//libfbdevhw.so
> >> (II) Module fbdevhw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> >>         compiled for 1.5.2, module version = 0.0.2
> >>         ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 4.1
> >> (WW) open /dev/fb2: No such file or directory
> >> (WW) open /dev/fb3: No such file or directory
> >> (WW) open /dev/fb4: No such file or directory
> >> (WW) open /dev/fb5: No such file or directory
> >> (WW) open /dev/fb6: No such file or directory
> >> (WW) open /dev/fb7: No such file or directory
> >> (EE) Unable to find a valid framebuffer device
> >> (EE) R128(0): Failed to open framebuffer device, consult warnings and/or errors above for possible reasons
> >>         (you may have to look at the server log to see warnings)
> >
> > This is probably because you're using OFfb rather than aty128fb (what
> > does /proc/fb contain?) in console. Either fix that, or try without
> > Option "UseFBDev", though IIRC that may be tricky to get working with
> > the r128 driver on Apple laptops.
>
> Sorry, I'm pretty new to linux, I don't know what 'using OFfb rather
> than aty128fb' means.

The /proc/fb contents in your other post show that you actually are
using aty128fb... I took a look at the failing X server code, it looks
like it may have a bug which causes it to fail to recognize the
correlation between the PCI device and the framebuffer device. What does

find /sys -name \*fb0

say?

BTW, I noticed from the log file that you don't seem to be using Debian
but Arch Linux - may I ask why you're posting to a Debian mailing list
then? It would have been nice to at least state this clearly in the
original post...

> If I comment out the 'UseFBDev' line then I get the exact same error
> message.

Maybe the option defaults to on, check the r128 manpage.

> If I set the option to false rather than true then I get the
> attached error message.

	Option	"NoInt10"

may get you past this, but as I said, it might be tricky to get the r128
driver working without UseFBDev on an Apple laptop.