Re: yaboot partition + /boot partition ?

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 11:19:36PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> This /boot would most naturally use ext2/ext3, but a more appealing
> solution would be to make /boot into an hfsplus partition so I can
> put yaboot in it as well.
>
> Yet, the yaboot documentation says:
>
>    While it's possible to install <prgn>yaboot</prgn> on a mountable HFS
>    <file>/boot</file> partition, that configuration is deprecated,
>    discouraged and completely unsupported.
>
> Does anyone know *why* this is discouraged?

As I remember it, the biggest issue was that if you mark it as a type
of Apple_HFS so that you can mount it from macos it will become
unbootable after it gets mounted by the macos. One of the reasons
people wanted yaboot on /boot was to write new kernels and configs
from the macos. I think there were also worries about corrupting
the filesystem due to bugs in the hfs and/or hfsplus drivers in Linux.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com