Re: Suggestions for running Mac OS 9.0.1 on debian-x86-64

Jérôme Warnier wrote:
Christian Jaeger wrote:
Jérôme Warnier wrote:
Just my .2c: Both applications also exist for Windows, and probably run nicely under WINE.

Yes, I've thought about this, too, but I'd have to get a copy of those apps only for the purpose of the conversion; also I was still using FileMaker 4. Also there might be further (even if less compelling) reasons to run the old Mac OS for me, too. So I'd prefer the emulation path.
In this case, why bother using MOL?
Just install Mac OS 9 directly under your qemu VM.

Really? Doesn't qemu only emulate PC hardware (except for the cpu)? For linux that shouldn't matter as you could presumably compile the PC hardware drivers into a ppc kernel, but for MacOS that would be an issue, I thought.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/emulators/macintosh.shtml
"When emulating a PC (x86), supported guest operating systems include MSDOS, FreeDOS, Windows 3.11, Windows 98SE, Windows 2000, Linux, SkyOS, ReactOS, NetBSD, Minix, etc. When emulating a PowerPC, currently tested guest OSes include Debian Linux."

$ qemu -M \?
Supported machines are:
pc         Standard PC (default)
isapc      ISA-only PC

In any case, I actually tried like this:

/usr/bin/qemu-system-ppc -boot d -snapshot -m 512 -hda '/home/chris/qemu/lombi-hda10.img' -net nic,vlan=0 -localtime &
Warning: vlan 0 is not connected to host network
qemu: warning: could not load VGA bios '/usr/share/qemu/video.x'

this eats 100% cpu now and nothing happens; where can I get the /usr/share/qemu/video.x from?

Christian.