Re: Very weird results with X.org and fresh sid install

Hi again, Bob.

On Jun 02 2008, Bob Lounsbury wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:
> > On May 30 2008, Bob Lounsbury wrote:
> >> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
> >
> > Thanks. "Been there, done that" before posting to the list (and before
> > even pointing Ubuntu to the problem, which was some time ago).
>
> Just to clarify (and sorry for insulting your intelligence), doing the
> dpkg does not correct your screen resolution problem. Right?

Using dpkg-reconfigure does not correct the screen resolution. I have
already tried:

* going back to kernel 2.6.8;
* using the same modeline that the console uses (via fbset -x) in the
  xorg.conf file;
* setting and unsetting the flag to use the kernel framebuffer.

> Or, it does correct the screen resolution, but you're trying to find
> the root cause of why it wasn't correct in the first place.

No, I still can't get that right. I filed a bug on
xserver-xorg-video-ati and, luckily, Michel Dänzer replied. A new thread
has been created on <debian-x@l.d.o>.

> > The problem seems to be related with the r128 kernel and the ati driver
> > from X and some interrelation between them. :-( There's some bad
> > interaction there. :-(
>
> The dpkg worked for me on Debian Etch about 2 weeks ago to correct the
> screen resolution. If doing this on Debian Sid does not work, then I
> agree with you there is some problem with the newer r128 kernel and
> ati drivers.

Which xserver are you using (version, I mean)? Since I still have no
important data on this machine, I can experiment a bit.

> I've also installed or tried to install ... Gentoo, Arch, Fedora,
> Yellowdog, Ubuntu, openSUSE, Slackintosh and CentOS on this machine.

In my case, I just want Debian. :-)

> Older versions of Fedora (around 6 & 7) booted up perfectly with the
> correct screen resolution, but I just recently tried Fedora 9 and
> could not get it to work.

Which machine do you have? The same iBook G3 combo, Late 2001 that I
have? In my case, I'm willing to go back as far as possible just to see
where the problem lies.

> CentOS which I assume is an older X also didn't work and gave me the
> typical 640x480 screen as you describe (it wasn't even big enough to
> see anything to install it. I currently have Debian, Gentoo, and Arch
> booting on this machine, but in every case I've had to copy my Debian
> xorg.conf for use with Gentoo and Arch.

Right. BTW, isn't CentOS just an unbranded RedHat?

> I would say the only ones that didn't have a problem with screen
> resolution would be Fedora 6 & 7, Ubuntu, Yellowdog, and openSUSE.

Nice to know, but which Ubuntu are you thinking about?

> Hope it gets figured out. Although I assume interest in these aging
> platforms is diminishing exponentially.

As far as I am concerned, running new software on older hardware will be
supported. :-)

For instance, my packages will be running on m68k as long as these
machines are available and I would even donate a PowerMac 9500/180MP
with a G3 upgrade card as a buildd, if that would help Debian. Porting
to more platforms just seems to expose bugs that wouldn't be noticed
otherwise (e.g., see the problems that hfsprogs had with support for 64
bit platforms).

Regards, Rogério.