Re: Issues with Debian Lenny on Powerbook G4

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 13:59:31 +0200
Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 23 2008, at 21:25 -0700, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 19:22:18 +0200
> > Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Ever having considered to install sid/unstable? Most of the time it
> > > works like a charm on ab old titanium here:
> > >
> > > ******
> > >
> > > processor	: 0
> > > cpu		: 7455, altivec supported
> > > clock		: 667.000000MHz
> > > revision	: 0.2 (pvr 8001 0302)
> > > bogomips	: 66.56
> > > timebase	: 33331438
> > > platform	: PowerMac
> > > machine		: PowerBook3,5
> > > motherboard	: PowerBook3,5 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
> > > detected as	: 80 (PowerBook Titanium IV)
> > > pmac flags	: 0000001b
> > > L2 cache	: 256K unified
> > > pmac-generation	: NewWorld
> > >
> > > *****
> > >
> > > Graphics hardware:
> > >
> > > 0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies
> > > Inc Radeon RV250 [Mobility FireGL 9000] (rev 01)
> > >
> > > *****
> > >

> > Hi there,
> >

> Hi
>
> > When I installed testing I changed the sources to sid and upgraded them. But I still couldn't get the Xorg issue figured out. The graphics controller I have is:

> >  product: Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x
> >  vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
> >
> > It seems that's the major issue. Also how did you get the power
> > management to work? I couldn't get the sleep/suspend to ram working
> > properly?
>
> I have pbbuttonsd installed ... the config file - i.e. /etc/pbbuttonsd.conf
> - is attached as "pbbuttonsd.conf-tibook" - so get the machine to
> sleep all I do is pressing the powerbutton of the ti-book. As to the
> "Sleepkey" ID 116 in this pbbuttons.conf: I don't know what's the
> right one for your computer ....
>
> Also, I attach xorg.conf that is on that tibook as "xorg.conf.tibook"
>
> Now, you might even want to try that kernel I'm using: I've uploaded
> it quite some time ago to rapidshare:
>
> http://rapidshare.com/files/103023740/linux-image-2.6.25-rc3-g7704a8b-with-ben.s-pmu-patch_2008.03.06_powerpc.deb.html
>
> md5sum for that kernel package on the rapidshare page is
> 37732ce4d345bd5b4ef7b74cdc475c16
>
> My apologies for that upload solution, but I don't have another one:
> It might be hard to type in the correct code (shown on that image that
> rapidshare might display if one wants to download that file ... )
> .. don't give up ... :)
>
> The config file for that kernel is on
> http://www.geocities.com/wolfgangpfeiffer/config-tibook-2.6.25-rc3-g7704a8b-with-ben.s-pmu-patch.txt
>
> And just in case: I've also attached /etc/modules from the tibook as
> "modules-tibook" ..
>
> Good luck!
>
> Oh, I nearly forgot that:
> This kernel above is heavily modularized ... no initrd image .. and
> on install it might complain about a missing source directory, that I
> [...]

Thanks for all this!

I will try it out soon enough. Rapidly approaching finals week so I don't know if I'm brave enough to try this out now.

But thank you so much for your help and effort. I definitely want to try debian unstable on this system...

amit