Re: How to install testing version of Debain on PS3

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, Norberto Feliberty wrote:
> Hi, I do I install the testing version of debain on the ps3? I understand
> that the testing version of debain has no otheros.bld file  and is missing
> some ps3 specific utilites but I read on here that it is installable on the
> plyastation 3. Can I just for example burn the latest testing net install iso
> for power pc and put it in my ps3 and it will install as long as I already
> have an otheros.bld file installed on my ps3 or is ther more to just burning
> the cd in order to install bedbian currently? Thanks.

You need to:
  - Install otheros.bld on the PS3
  - Put your own kernel image on a USB memory stick. It needs to contain all
    PS3 drivers.
  - Put the CD with the powerpc testing net install image in the CD-drive
  - Boot the PS3 into kboot
  - At the kboot prompt, type

	sda1:/<your-own-kernel-image> initrd=/install/powerpc/initrd.gz

    (alternative, you can boot <your-own-kernel-image> over the network using
     TFTP)

  - After installation, copy <your-own-kernel-image> to /boot
  - Edit /etc/kboot.conf to boot /boot/<your-own-kernel-image>

Good luck!

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven@sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
A division of Sony Service Centre (Europe) N.V.
Registered office: Technologielaan 7 · B-1840 Londerzeel · Belgium
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis Bank Zaventem · Swift GEBABEBB08A · IBAN BE39001382358619