Re: command line wirelss config [was: How to speed up your Mac.]

Hello P,

P Kapat <kap4lin@gmail.com> wrote:
> ok, i need more help... has anyone successfully used  ifup / ifdown /
> wpa_supplicant method to access wireless network from the command
> line??

Yes. I use ifup eth1 and some seconds later I get the interface up.

> On 12/5/07, Bin Zhang <yangtze31@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 5, 2007 4:18 PM, P Kapat <kap4lin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > i think it is better to start a new thread...

>> > noting that I need to access WPA encrypted wireless networks, do I
>> > need the wpa_supplicant after this? Some more details on the whole
>> > process will be very much appreciated...
>>
>> You can Install package wpasupplicant and read
>> /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/README.modes.gz and
>> /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/examples/
>
> i currently have the following in /etc/network/interfaces
> ##################
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> allow-hotplug eth1 eth2
> iface eth1 inet dhcp
>
> # my wirelss interface is eth2; and what is this wpa-driver???
> iface eth2 inet manual
>         wpa-driver wext

wext is correct.

>         wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
>
> iface default inet dhcp
>
> iface work inet dhcp
> ########################
>
> and the following in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
>
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> network={
>         ssid="workssid"
>         id_str="work"

Your interfaces misses a rule for work.

This is my wpa_supplicant.conf:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
# fast_reauth=1

### Associate with any open access point
###  Scans/ESSID changes can be done with wpa_cli
network={
    ssid="802.1X"
    id_str="fsu_dhcp"          # this is passed to ifup eth1=fsu_dhcp
    proto=WPA
    key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
    pairwise=CCMP TKIP
    group=TKIP
    eap=TTLS
    anonymous_identity="anonymous@uni-jena.de"
    identity="<my login name>"
    password="<my password>"
    ca_cert="/etc/ssl/certs/FSU.pem"
    phase2="auth=PAP"
    priority=4
}

And this is my /etc/network/interfaces:

iface eth1 inet manual
        wpa_roam /home/joerg/.etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
        wpa_driver wext

iface fsu_dhcp inet dhcp
        down env interface=eth1 /etc/udhcpc/default.deconfig

Bye, Jörg.
--
Mancher Hahn meint, dass die Sonne seinetwegen aufgeht.
                                               (Theodor Fontane)