Re: command line wirelss config [was: How to speed up your Mac.]

P Kapat wrote:

> ok, i need more help... has anyone successfully used  ifup / ifdown /
> wpa_supplicant method to access wireless network from the command
> line??

Hi,

A simpler configuration than Jörg's (if you have a simple WPA) is to put
this in your /etc/network/interfaces:

        auto eth1               <- you may want it to auto connect
        iface eth1 inet dhcp
        wpa-driver wext
        wpa-ssid your_ssid
        wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
        wpa-psk your_wpa_psk    <- or wpa-psk "your_ascii_passphrase"

I don't know if there is a difference between the use of the WPA PSK
(obtained with wpa_passphrase) and the use of the ASCII passphrase.

Note that the name of your wireless interface may change (for instance with
the new 2.6.24(-rc) b43 driver. You can have a stable interface name using
the ifrename package.

Note also that you won't be able to use network-manager as enabling an
interface in /etc/network/interfaces disables its management by
network-manager.
That's why I agree with your first post, it would be good to have a console
client for network-manager. ;-)

Yannick