Re: Help with installing Debian on G3 Powermac (B&W)

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 01:04:14PM +0100, John Fieldsend wrote:
> I went through all the installation as ive done on other Debain
> Platforms i partitions the 9 GB SCSI as Follows
>
> 840KB Bootstamp (apple)
> 1.1MB /Boot
> 1GB /swap
> 7.4GB /
>
> (im not sure of the number as i dont have them on me)\
>
> However everything went through and no errors where flagged up on the
> install, the system then rebooted and ejected the CD
>
> When the system reboots it first sits with the ? folder flashing then
> finds the hard drive. As soon as it finds the HD the system flashed a
> boot screen then floods the screen with exception codes or something
> and just sits there doing this and wont boot the OS
>
> Im not sure as to what is going on, or if i should have upgraded some
> firmware or something to get linux to boot

I presume you are using a PCI SCSI card to use a SCSI drive in a B&W G3.
What type of card is it? Some of them have issues on booting. I suspect
most of the testing would have been done with IDE drives, which were
the default on these systems. If you have any extra IDE drives laying
around, it might be easier to get that working.

You might want to check for firmware updates on your SCSI card, but I
highly suspect that it's just an issue that the installer doesn't
handle your SCSI card correctly. More details about your configuration
might help.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com