Re: brutal shutdown

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 23:26 +0200, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:

> since some days (don't know exactly when, but some days ago, and it
> keeps increasing), my powerbook (g4/15" 5,6) stops suddenly. Brutal
> shutdown without anything written in the logs.
>
> Firs times were while it was idle, during the night for example, but
> tonight it shutdown itself like 3 times, and once while I was in front
> of it, typing on the keyboard.
>
> I've checked the temperature:
> corsac@hidalgo: cat /sys/devices/temperatures/sensor2_temperature
> 49
> corsac@hidalgo: cat /sys/devices/temperatures/sensor1_temperature
> 50
>
> I don't think it's that high, and if it was really a temperature problem
> i'd say it should have been written in the logs. Maybe there is hardware
> failure involved, but I don't really know.

It's possible, I had similar symptoms with one of the TiBooks that
turned out to be due to a defective 'logic board'. One good test for
this should be whether it happens in OSX as well.

> Has someone got the same problem recently, and could this be a soft I'm
> running (using Debian Sid, running pmud and pommed).

Did you change that recently? The brutal shutdown probably occurs
because the PMU is unhappy for some reason, so these could be related.
Also, on my last TiBook it happened sometimes when switching CPU
frequency, but I've never seen it with this PowerBook5,8. YMMV.