Re: brutal shutdown

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 11:26:21PM +0200, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:

> since some days (don't know exactly when, but some days ago, and it
> keeps increasing), my powerbook (g4/15" 5,6) stops suddenly. Brutal
> shutdown without anything written in the logs.
> Firs times were while it was idle, during the night for example, but
> tonight it shutdown itself like 3 times, and once while I was in front
> of it, typing on the keyboard.
> [..]
> I don't think it's that high, and if it was really a temperature problem
> i'd say it should have been written in the logs. Maybe there is hardware
> failure involved, but I don't really know.
> Has someone got the same problem recently, and could this be a soft I'm
> running (using Debian Sid, running pmud and pommed).

Yes, I have sudden/random shutdowns here as well on my PPC.
It's a PegasosII G4. Sometimes it runs for weeks without problems, sometimes
it crashes twice a day. There is no particular high load or any other reason
that causes theses sorts of reboots. At least I haven't discovered one in
the last 3-4 years.
Even more fun: my second Peg2 G4 runs very stable for months and never
showed any problem of this kind. And it's always the same machine that has
those shutdowns, regardless of exchanging CPU cards or RAM modules between
these two machines. They're even running the same OF version.
The main difference is a minor board revision and additional PCI cards in
the crashing machine.

--
Ciao...                //        Fon: 0381-2744150
      Ingo           \X/         SIP: 2744150@sipgate.de

gpg pubkey: http://www.juergensmann.de/ij/public_key.asc