TERM-->bterm, Debian Sarge RS6000 stalled install

I posted this question elsewhere, but decided this would also be a good place to ask. Thanks, by the way, to the two people who responded to my request for partitioning advice.

I am going through the long, hard, complicated process of installing Debian Sarge on an IBM powerpc. I'm installing Sarge because that's the only install cd I could find that would boot on my RS/6000. I've been running a stripped down low-level linux completely in ram for the last several days as I make baby steps towards getting a bootable linux on one of the computer's scsi hard discs. I did manage to get a Debian Sarge install to the hard drive after partitioning it and mounting it. I have the swap partition working. I can even chroot into it.

The problem is, the install system uses bterm which the distro on the hard drive does not recognize when I try to issue apt-setup. I've tried every method I can think of or find to change the TERM, but it just won't change. It just keeps telling me that bterm is not recognized. The install cd isn't working like it should, so I'm having to do every step myself from this bterm screen. I had to download and install a scsi module. I had to download and install mke2fs. I'm stuck at this last step before I can make this system bootable. I'm so close I can taste it, but so far away I'm getting depressed.

I just don't know how to change the TERM or even if I need to. There might be something else I'm missing. I think I'm past the hardware issues at this point and it's all software. Maybe it's more important to install a kernel and boot loader.