HFS+ backup tool

I see that partimage doesn't work on big-endian machines, but I am
leery of using a tool like dar because I don't know if I'll easily be
able to replicate any voodoo (e.g. boot sectors) that Mac OS X needs to
boot. Can anyone recommend a backup tool for HFS+ partitions (journal
is turned off) that is better than dd + gzip (which compresses a 12GB
partition with 4.1GB of data into 7.8GB)?

Thanks in advance.

--
Andrew J. Barr

Woke up in my clothes again this morning,
don't know exactly where I am...