Re: [iBook 300Mhz] ybin: undocumented error ?

Hi Norbert!

* Norbert Lange-Schäfer <bopa-mema@t-online.de> <
> [2007-06-20]:
>  Hi Ennio.
>  After an apt-get dist-upgrade I could not dual-(tripple)-boot my ibook g3
>  (Dual-USB late 2001 with 40 GB disk).
>  Even a total new install of macos, macx, debain-etch did'nt help; Ubuntu-PPC
>  did'nt help, changing the install-routine did'nt help ...
>  Always all three OS were on the disk, but I could only access macx and
>  linux. ybin was no help - though it reported no error and found the
>  macos-partition. My best guess: something with the "blessing" went wrong.
>
>  My solution: (Dont ask me why it worked!)
>  Step 1: Installing all three os (1. repartitioning the disk with the
>  mac9.1-CDROM, then install macos, then install macx10.0.4, install last
>  linux)
>  Step 2: configure yaboot.conf for all three; run ybin -v: all three os were
>  found, but only macx and linux bootable
>  Step 3: Insert a USB-Stick
>  Step 4: Boot from mac9.1-CDROM
>  - the USB is shown on the desktop
>  Step 5: Try to install mac9.1 on the USB-Stick!
>  - some Error-messages came up - I didnt bother
>  Step 5: Reboot from disk: all three os were bootable!
>
>  (N.B. Had to re-format the USB-Stick with cfdisk - small issue)
>
>  Hope this helps a bit.
>  Another tip:
>  hattrib can change hfs-formated file attributes. Since I have hfsplus it was
>  no help for me.
>  Even mol works fine (beside some CDROM issues)
>
>  Norbert

Thank you for your message: I'll try your suggestions as soos as
I can and will report the results.

In the meantime, could you please tell me how you partitioned the HD?
My MacOS 9.1 could only make 8 partitions, but I made 4 (First 70 GB
reserved to linux, 2nd (HFS+) for MacOs9, 3rd (HFS) Xchange part., 4th
(HFS+) for MacOSX (which, however, wouldn't install from OS9.1!). Then I
divided the linux partition into 15 different linux partitions, except
the first one reserved for Apple_Bootstrap.
When I try to boot MacOS9 the OF says 'cannot open hda24' (the OS9 part.)
If I boot MacOS9 from CD it doesn't see any partition and will only
allow re-initialization (but if I choose to re-initialize, it shows all
the partitins, although grayed out!).

	Ennio

--
[Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo.    \\?//
 Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!"   (diceva Henry Miller) ]    (°|°)