Re: etch/powerbook G4 wlan/wpa not working

hi,

ralf wrote:

> Am 01.06.2007 um 07:48 schrieb Andrei Morgan:
>
>> Georg Heinrich wrote:
>>> I don't get wlan with wpa working on my powerbook g4 with etch.
>
>> you probably need bcm43xxx-fwcutter package. i wrote up how i got mine
>> working: http://travelsoforion.net/debian-wireless
>
> Hello to everyone,
>
> you get the bcm43xx-fwcutter package after activating non-free in your
> apt sources.list. You can do that within synaptic too.

correct: this is something i should probably mention in the guide i wrote.

> You can not only select, download and install the fwcutter package, you
> will be asked during configuration if the firmware should be downloaded,
> too.
>
> No need to read anything ;-)

mmm, disagree here: i had great difficulty in getting this working a few
weeks ago. some simple instructions somewhere would have been really
useful for me to have - although i agree it is very easy (once you know how)

> BTW I missed the wpa_supplicant.conf file. It wasn't installed and it's
> not in the wpa_supplicant package for ppc. I found the original one on
> the net with all the information in it.
>
> Next remark: Don't trust the network-manager. Check everything,
> resolv.conf, /etc/network/interfaces and bring up the interface with
> ifdown eth2; ifup eth2

agree with this, too: it's what i do all the time now, although one day
i should probably figure out something a bit more sophisticated :)

best,

	--asm