Re: PowerPC buildd is looking for a new home

Hi all,

although this thread is not mega-friedly, I think that it gives the
opportunity to ask to the powerpc porters and buildd admins their
opinion on wether Debian needs a G5 machine or not.

One first argument is that G5 is faster, and that it is not because the
current buildd was not overloaded in the past that it will not be in the
future. Indeed, it was quite loaded this week.

But I have another concern. In my experience, some debian source
packages do not build on G5 running the Debian powerpc port because
their ./configure scripts get confused by the "ppc64" string in the
uname output. Depending on how widespread this problem is, this has two
consequences:

a) Unless it is accepted that a debian package needs only to be
buildable on buildds, and not on any machine of the same arch, it could
mean that a big part of the archive would be FTBFS on powerpc.

b) As long as the problem is not fixed, the question of having or not a
G5 buildd has a clear answer : No.

Clearly, pbuildding the whole archive on a G5 would give intersting
data. I am trying to do this, but due to my low level, I do not know
when I will succeed. Feel free to overtake me !

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Wako, Saitama, Japan