Re: PowerPC buildd is looking for a new home

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 03:45:21AM +0200, Helmut H. Franke wrote:

> |I have been running the Solaris project Blastwave.org for five years
> |and it would be trivial to add in one more machine.
> |
> |I'm in Canada however.
> |
> |Dennis
>
> May be you debian people want to have a look at
> http://tuxppc.rz.uni-augsburg.de/ and contact the
> people there. I am not quite sure though, but I
> think and maybe they already run a buildd at one
> of their ppc 64 servers at the computing centre at
> Augsburg University.  And of course thay run more
> than enough 32 bit machines, too.

Especially, as the quad power5 machines hosted there are officially
debian donations from IBM. And a powerpc64 buildd would be important if
we want to go multi-arch/bi-arch now that etch is out.

But the DSA team have refused to even consider those augsbourg machines,
probably because they where overloaded, and unwilling to share the work,
a bit like it is happening with the arm or sparc ports, where new
hardware was proposed, but ignored or rejected.

I myself have a dual G5 XServe machine online at a datacenter a
kilometer from my home, which could be used as a buildd, but i have been
suspended, and seen as the devil incarnate by those in power, so ...

Friendly,

Sven Luther