Re: Simplified booting of Debian install CD on IBM PowerPC servers - Suggestion

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 01:11:33PM -0500, Rolf Brudeseth wrote:

>The Debian PowerPC install CD (3.1r5) currently only allows booting via
>Open Firmware on IBM servers. That is typically a very painful method for
>those that are not well-versed in Open Firmware. I have added the fixes
>below that will allow the CD to be booted directly from the SMS menus or by
>pressing the 5 (tty) or F5 (video) keys when the IBM banner is shown.
>
>I successfully booted a modified 'netinst' CD using those two methods on
>the following IBM Power5 server: 9110-51A
>
>Now, the kernel would not boot and the system went to Open Firmware. But
>that issue is unrelated and something I will address next. It could be as
>simple as me selecting the wrong image.

Hi Rolf,

Thanks for looking into this. 3.1r5 (aka Sarge r5) is the last stable
release of Debian, using installation code and setup from 2005. We're
probably not going to make any more changes to it at this point, as
we're very close to releasing our new stable version (4.0 aka Etch).
That should hopefully be more useful for you. Checking, your change to
yaboot.conf is already merged in in the latest Etch test images, and
we have a /ppc/bootinfo.txt file with similar information to yours and
an icon.

Could you try (for example) the image at

  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/etch_di_rc2/powerpc/iso-cd/debian-testing-powerpc-netinst.iso

and see how that works for you please? We'd love some good feedback at
this point. :-)

Thanks,
"We're the technical experts.  We were hired so that management could
 ignore our recommendations and tell us how to do our jobs."  -- Mike Andrews