Re: Simplified booting of Debian install CD on IBM PowerPC servers - Suggestion

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 01:11:33PM -0500, Rolf Brudeseth wrote:

> The Debian PowerPC install CD (3.1r5) currently only allows booting via
> Open Firmware on IBM servers. That is typically a very painful method for
> those that are not well-versed in Open Firmware. I have added the fixes
> below that will allow the CD to be booted directly from the SMS menus or by
> pressing the 5 (tty) or F5 (video) keys when the IBM banner is shown.
>
> I successfully booted a modified 'netinst' CD using those two methods on
> the following IBM Power5 server: 9110-51A
>
> Now, the kernel would not boot and the system went to Open Firmware. But
> that issue is unrelated and something I will address next. It could be as
> simple as me selecting the wrong image.
>
> The two trivial fixes and boot details are shown below.

Please bring this to the proper place, namely a installation report against
debian-installer.

BTW, i have just been expulsed, err, suspended for a year, so i will stay
around here, but i have no more power to fix issues anymore than any of you,
so i would appreciate if you took the issues directly to the right persons, or
simply filled bug reports.

Friendly,

Sven Luther