Re: Mac mini: serious clock drift

Hi Rick

On Sun, Mar 11 2007, at 14:48 -0400, Rick Thomas wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2007, at 2:16 PM, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
>
> >"Going wrong" happens at
> >times after a system crash, e.g., when the times are set back to 1970
> >(and 2004, IIRC). These times I start all over with recalibrating the
> >hardware clock ... I swear I hate these situations ...
>
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> This sounds to me like your CMOS battery is weak or dead.  You might
> try replacing it.

I probably was a bit unclear on that: The clock is set back to dates
like 1970 only after the system crashed. For example a few days ago
the machine (alubook 5,8) was switched off completely when it was in
sleep mode and I tried to wake it via the powerbutton (I only can wake
it with this button, as the software seems to switch off the keyboard
in sleep mode).
So, instead of resuming the system with this button, it was simply
switched off completely. (I'm still not sure why it happened. Might be
I pressed the button --accidentally-- twice in fast succession) And
only after accidents like this, IIRC, the clock had been set back to
1970 etc. ... It don't remember it *ever* happened when the system was
shut down via the software ..

BTW: do these "time crashes" happen because of OF limitations? Because
I don't remember having had the time being ruined like that when I had
crashes on BIOS based computers ...

I doubt it's the battery also, because I had these crashes just a few
months after I bought the machine:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2006/05/msg00400.html

But who knows ...

Thanks for considering the issue ...

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

I made slight changes on Key ID: E3037113. Please refresh it.
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on