Re: Mac mini: serious clock drift

On Sun, Mar 11 2007, at 16:31 +0100, Bram Senders wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 06:23:29PM +0100, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Hi Bram, Hi All
> >
> > Bram, I'm not an expert for time setting procedures on Linux. The
> > following is just a glimpse on what I might have learned on Linux time
> > setting routines over the last few years ...
> <snip>
>
> > *** 4: I'd suggest to stop ntpd. I does not seem to be necessary to me
> >        as long as one has 'ntpdate' and hwclock on a system. I'd try
> >        to keep things as simple as possible.
>
> I had a look at the scripts, and the bugs, and the manpages, and all
> this stuff really seems quite complicated to me.

It is complicated. Even for me, if I don't care for my computer clocks
for a few months, it is normal that I have to re-read the whole
procedure I'm using if something goes wrong. "Going wrong" happens at
times after a system crash, e.g., when the times are set back to 1970
(and 2004, IIRC). These times I start all over with recalibrating the
hardware clock ... I swear I hate these situations ...

> In the end, if I would do that instead of running ntpd with an
> adjusted kernel tick parameter like I do now, I would have to do a
> lot before I would even understand all this stuff, and then maybe I
> would get a situation that works as well as the current one.

True. If the ntpd routines work for you, why change them .. ?

> But it's still both a hack, because I don't think users shouldn have
> to mess with this stuff, so in the meantime, I'm happy to keep
> running ntpd.

A lot seems to me being a hack, if I look to the files in /etc/ ... :)

What I like about my procedure is how I can teach my hardware clock
about its own drift rate. And when this calibrating job is done I
simply don't have to do anything about all this clock setting stuff on
the machine, for many weeks. Because my system is doing the job for me
then. I don't even need the internet for weeks to have relatively
accurate times on my system. All this because, provided I'm not to
lazy to start working on it, I always try to let the computer do as
much work as possible, without my intervention what-so-ever.

But yes: It's a complicated thing ... :)

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

I made slight changes on Key ID: E3037113. Please refresh it.
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on