Strange install behaviour

I had recently the problem of installing Debian 3.1r4 with
DVD using an external DVD firewire drive. Brian (tortoise) gave me some valuable hints.

The internal CD of my computer cannot read the DVD-R. Booting did not work from the external firewire DVD-writer. So, I used a CD image to install a base system, and continue using the DVDs from the external drive.

Finally, after I mounted the external drive as /dev/scd0, mountpoint /cdrom I could access this drive. Possibly the mountpoint /cdrom is advised since the program "base-config" uses this path for CD-install as default.

I use DVD as source since I have no flatrate next to this Powerpc (Apple Cube, 800MHz), and don't want to be a disk-jockey during installation (with CDs).

Now the problem:

When using "base-config" I experienced a strange behaviour: After I chose the configuration I was asked to insert the specific disk, then press "Enter". Only pressing the enter-button was without effect. I opened another terminal (alt-F2), gave the command "mount/cdrom", then changed back to the installing teminal, and the DVD was accessed!

Very embarassing is that I chose Desktop (ticked the box), and what was installed was print-server and mail-server!?!?

I tried several times, but the dektop environment was not installed, at least the corresponding box was not ticked when I re-started Base-config.

I suggest that after installing desktop environment with base-config the desktop should be started on the computer.

Is there a different (automatic) procedure to install the desktop?

Wolfgang