Re: Debian has failed us

Hi,

On Saturday 13 January 2007 08:47, Joey Hess wrote:
> Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > Yes, I've seen various mails/rants etc... and haven't wanted to take
> > part of it neither in the past, but it looks like this has gone too far,
> > and it's more and more looking like even perfectly good bug fixes that
> > are needed for most users are being rejected on the sole basis of the
> > person they originate from. Either that or somebody has an agenda of
> > fucking up powerpc support in debian...
> I'm trying to figure out how you're getting from the posts that have
> been made to this thread, stating that the aforementioned bug was fixed
> in a timely manner and has a fix available in the current daily builds,
> and that the OP just used the wrong image, to the assertian above.
>
> Having a hard time making that connection, could you explain your logic?

I dont think _this_ thread is the cause for Bens perception, rather those
threads which _started_ with these mails (and others):

http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2006/04/msg00407.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2006/08/msg00100.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2006/09/msg00139.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2006/11/msg00164.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2006/11/msg00137.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2007/01/msg00012.html

*sigh*

And to repeat what not only I've said before: various debian people (whether
they are part of the installer team or not) care about powerpc, are happy
about patches and run it daily on their main machines.

And to repeat what also has been said before: the ongoing flamewars probably
hurt the powerpc port more than anything else. I switched my focus mostly
over to powerpc on debian-edu (instead of debian-installer) cause I'm sick of
these flamewars. But I'm also sick to hear that debian (or the
debian-installer team) wants the powerpc port to die or that it's dead
already (so I sometimes take a stand in this dispute). FUD as its best.

regards,
	Holger