Re: pbbuttonsd beta on new Powerbook5,8

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 09:11:37AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 23:09 +0100, Mich Lanners wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > For those who didn't notice, pbbuttonsd just got support for the backlit
> > keyboard of the new Powerbooks (post-October 2005).
> >
> > For me it works fine :-)
> >
> > However, I have another problem: it seems that pbbuttonsd can't detect
> > activity.
> >
> > While typing, a short while after resuming from sleep, the display is
> > dimmed down to level 1. Another while later, if I don't stop pbbuttonsd
> > in the mean time, it puts the machine to sleep. All this while I'm
> > typing....
> >
> > Can anyone confirm this behaviour? Any fixes available?
>
> I had this problem with some kernels (I think 2.6.14 had the issue)
> and/or udev version problems (check that you have the
> various /dev/input/ entries, events mouse and kbd, I think it was
> missing some of the events devices)

Current 2.6.15 debian kernel with a sarge userland exhibit the problem. The
mouse events work fine, but indeed the keyboard events don't get recognized
as activity.

The above comment from Benjamin Herrenschmidt made me remember that it is not
recomended to run older udev with newer kernel, which means i should
re-backport a newer version of udev.

What distribution/kernel/udev are you running ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther