Powerbook5,8: function keys not working

Hello all,

On my Powerbook5,8 (post-October Aluminum), I have a problem with the
special keys overloaded on the F keys.

I have Michael's patch
(http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc/patch?id=3856) applied to the
kernel, but none of the keys seems to produce any special action.
pbbuttonsd listens for those keys and should run the special actions,
but it doesn't.

Fn + cursor keys do produce the expected acion, i.e page up/down and
home/end.

The power key works also.

In default config, Fn+Fx (eg. Fn+F1) do produce different keycodes. But
it seems the Fn-ified keycode is not what it should be.

showkey on the console has this to say (down + up events):

F1:      0x3b 0xbb
Fn + F1: 0x00 0x81 0xe0 0x80 0x00 0xe0

As you can se, with fn, I get six bytes instead of two. The last byte of
each block of three does represent the keycode I'm looking for: 0xe0 or
224 for fn+F1.

What am I missing here?

Also note that I ave no sound compiled in, which pbbuttonsd notices on
startup, and that the three sound-related keys do produce the expected
keycodes 113-115.

eject, though not dependant on fn, also produces a three-byte sequence
in showkeys, and indeed does not work.

Thanks, and cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |