Re: Files for BootX

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 10:37:33PM -0500, Chris Fisichella wrote:
> On Sunday, January 15, 2006, at 05:31 PM, Hans Ekbrand wrote:

[...]

> >It might not be loaded automatically in the chroot, though. Try
> >
> ># modprobe hfs
> >
> >and then
> >
> ># mount /dev/hda10 /mnt
>
> Those commands worked perfectly. Indeed, you were correct, I was very
> close. Debian is a very nice distro! As a small token of my thanks, I
> would like to help out with the manual. I think I should document my
> experience before it fades from my mind. How would you suggest I do
> that? Should I start with your bug report?

Yes, the text in the patched is file is rather terse, and it assumes
that you do the right thing at the first try. The trick of running the
installer a second time and chroot into the installed system and copy
the kernel and initrd perhaps should be documented also (even if that
trick not will be necessary as often, when the installation manual is
corrected). I suggest that you describe it in the boot-new-xml file
just below the paragraph that reads:

  If you use <command>BootX</command> to boot into the installed system,
  you should have copied the kernel and initrd from /boot to the MacOS
  partition before finishing the installer as described in <xref
  linkend="nobootloader"/>.

Post your additions as patches to the bug. Mail to
344477@bugs.debian.org, and cc: to me.

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
GnuPG key: 1024D/7050614E